Monday, March 17, 2014

IRISH DICTIONARY AND BIRTHDAY WISHES

 
First things first ... Happy Birthday to my very own leprechaun. Happy 22nd Birthday Prairie!
Like the warmth of the sun
And the light of the day,
May the Luck of the Irish
Shine bright on your day.
___________________________________________________________________________________
 
Here are a few words you can incorporate into your Irish vocabulary. See if you can use them today. Here is my feeble attempt at using my vocabulary list ... Go out and plan some SHENANIGANS but don't get ARSEWAYS and end up CIRCLING OVER SHANNON unable to find a JACKS after to many BLACK STUFFS.
 
ARSEWAYS (adj) Mishmash. Complete disarray. Total mess. (usage) "Me car has been arseways since I ran over that pedestrian."
AWAY IN THE HEAD (expression) Insane. Not all there. (usage) Many Americans are away in the head. Disclaimer: I used American because today we are all Irish.
BANG ON (adj) Correct. Perfectly accurate. (usage) "That shot ye took at the ref's groin was bang on."
BLACK STUFF (n) Stout. (usage) "Nine pints of the black stuff and a gin and tonic for me mot, please.
MOT (n) Girlfriend. (usage) "Me mot drinks Black Stuff like there's no tomorrow."
BLARNEY (n) Nonsense talk used to charm foreigners. (usage) "They say the ghost of Finn MacCumhall still stalks the Grand Canal. Buy another round and I'll tell you all about it, my American friend."
CIRCLING OVER SHANNON (expression) Drunk. (usage) She stopped for a few pints after work and she ended up circling over Shannon.
DRAWERS (n) Knickers. Panties. (usage) "You could fit a hurling team into me wife's drawers. In fact I think she does on a regular basis.
GAMMY (adj) Damaged. Crooked. Useless. (usage) The entire government is gammy.
GARGLE (n) (v) Drink (alcohol). (usage) The staff single-handedly prevented the closure of the brewery by retiring to the pub for a gargle or two.
HOP (v) Play truant from school. (usage) "Let's go on the hop and get pissed. I'm fed up with teaching those bleedin' kids anyway.
JACKS (n) Toilet. Restroom. (usage) "Ye tink dat's bad? Wait 'til ye see de state of de jacks in de pub."
OUL' FELLA (N) Father. (usage) "Me oul' fella hasn't been seen since six o'clock last night when he went to the pub."
OUL' WAN (n) Mother. (usage) "Me oul' wan had me when she was sixteen."
ROUGH AS A BEARS ARSE (expression) Extremely hungover. Unwell. (usage) I don't think I need to use this in a sentence. You all understand.
SHENANIGANS (n) Mischievous, suspicious, underhand, devious goings-on. (usage) "Next item on today's agenda: planning shenanigans."
 
Happy St. Patrick's Day to All.

"The Feckin' Book Of Everything Irish" by Colin Murphy and Donal O'Dea helped me expand my Irish vocabulary.


No comments:

Post a Comment